mardi 15 février 2011

Trash Talk

So this is actually something I didn’t really even think about before coming but learned quickly about after arriving- trash disposal or more so lack thereof.

When we all first arrived back in June, our firstfew days were spent in Yaounde in a hotel and honestly it did not seem all too far removed from life in America. But soon we were all with our homestay families in Bafia. And I rememberafter our first night with our host families, we all came together to discuss how things had gone and thought training continued to share experiences about life with our families. One issue that quickly came up that many of us seemed to share concerns about was ‘what the heck do we do with our trash?’ It seemed as though trash cans did not exist. And I know personally in my home, there was not a single trash can. Now for food, okay I can understand throwing that in the yard particularly if you are cooking outside to begin with. But I had no clue what to do with paper or plastic items. During training, I think other people found ways to dispose of their own trash. For me- well rather than ask my host family, I realized that there were trash cans at our training building so about once a week Iwould take me trash there to throw away. Now that may seem ridiculous and it kind of was but really even now the question still remains- what do you do with trash?

A sign in Banyo saying not to dump trash....

... And this is the area directly behind the sign...in case you can't tell, there's lots of trash and it al goes right into a stream

Trash really is a big issue in my town although I’m sure if youasked someone in my community about it they may not have a clue. In Banyo, there is no organized trash collection or disposal system. People literally just throw trash anywhere and thus trash is everywhere. Part of the problem stems from the fact that people love littleplastic bags and literally every time they buy anything they get another plastic bag that they then have to get rid of. Therefore, plastic bags are all over Banyo. At home, I think most families just dump their trash if not in their yard then in some larger area that maybe many people throw trashin. And maybe they are trying- maybe thinking that they are disposing of it in a common area like everyone else. However, the biggest problem is that more often than not this ‘common dumping areas’ are right next to water sources such as small streams. Some of these areas are so full of trash that it is quite disgusting and smelly just to pass.

One of the worst smelliest places to pass in Banyo

Every now and then you do see burning the trash. However, walking around town and seeing huge trash piles burning can also be quite stinky and smoky. But really what is there to do? I know the past health volunteer here has tried to educate about the environment and trash disposal but it is difficult. I think the best solution I have heard and what I personally do is I have a hole in my yard that I throw my trash inand then every couple of weeks I burn the trash. But really, the potential to address the trash issue in Banyo is exponential. There is so much that could be done but at the same time it would be a huge project. But hopefully, crossing fingers, Banyo will have an agro volunteer who could possibly focus on environmental education and trash.

Some trash burning in between some houses


Burning trash in my yard

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire