vendredi 24 février 2012

Youth Day

February 11 is a national holiday: Youth Day. It’s pretty much like any other holiday with special pagne, games and events, parade, party – the whole package but it’s dedicated to ‘youth’ which in this country can stretch to mean as long as you are not married you are a youth.

Last year I was not in Banyo for the holiday so this year I got to see and participate in all the awesome activities. And of course being a teacher, there really were some things I was supposed to help with. the first was ‘parade practice’ at school with all the students. Basically I just stood around and watched but the other teachers did help direct students and yell at them when they were not in a straight line. The students marched under the hot sun and chanted songs about how they were tired and wanted to go home.

Another day was ‘community service’ which basically meant students had to do manual labor and complained the whole time that they were again tired. And I again I didn’t really know what I was doing and I still don’t understand sweeping dirt here so the students asked if it was okay and I just said I don’t know. After about an hour of them asking I just gave up and they left. I think the ground was clean?

Then there were other events like some games against schools but I didn’t make it to all that. I did of course go out for the big parade on the Saturday. All the schools march in their uniforms and then youth groups and associations come out also. Even the moto-taximen march. It was quite an event.

It's Toga!






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire