mardi 29 juin 2010

Catch Up

Well I have some extra time today so I thought I'd try to actually write some info on here about what exactly is going on and what exactly I have been doing for about a month now.

First, I have extrat ime today because I am acutally not leaving for my site visit until tomorrow morning. Second, I really really tried to upload some pictures on here but blogger just does not want to cooperate so no luck - but I was able to put some on facebook so if anyone is interested look there.

Now - what exactly has been going on .... well a lot of training pretty much. We have a very jam-packed calendar of 10 weeks of training (so currently on week 4). Training is Monday- Saturday starting at 8:00am each day. Then Mon- Fri we finish as 4:30 and Saturdays we are done at 12:30. Training varies each day but is broken down into 4 sessions with breaks and lunch. Some sessions are language which means a class with just 3 people and a language trainer. Others are technical which means we learn about education and teaching. Then other times we learn about medical or safety info - those are the really fun ones when you learn about all the possible bugs or illnesses you can get. Training takes place at 1 of 2 locations. First there is the main building often called the SED buildng (for the business people) and then there is the lycee which is where us education trainees are most of the time.

When we are not in training, everyone is either just hanging out at the nearby bar or obviously at their homestay house. We do have a curfew (7:00pm) so were not exactly doing too too much and besides it gets dark here around 6:30 and unlike back home where it is still light even when its dark, there are not street lamps here so you don't really want to be walking around after dark. But also in case anyone is not aware, the World Cup is going on right now which just happens to be taking place in South Africa so as you can imagine that is a pretty big pasttime right now and pretty much what I watch with my host family all the time.

Then one last side note about life here - so my diet basically consists of carbs right now - lots and lots of bread and beignets which is quite all right with me (for the time being) and I am actually enjoying it. Also, running water and electricity not quite standards here. We are lucky to have electricity 4 days a week and running water is extremely rare - like I've had 4 showers with running water since I've been here (and I shower twice a day). But all in all it's really not all that bad. And I hope that my own sight has as much as my homestay here.

Well hopefully I have made things a little clearer. And I am sure after my site visit this week I will have even more updates so we'll see in a week!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire